By Loren Turner
The FCIL-SIS business meeting occurred at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, July 13, 2014, at the AALL Annual Conference in San Antonio, TX. The Chair of the FCIL-SIS, Donald (Don) Ford of the University of Iowa Law Library, and the Vice Chair/Chair-Elect, Teresa Miguel-Stearns of Yale Law Library, officiated the meeting.
Don Ford announced the 2014 election results naming Lucie Olejnikova as the upcoming Vice Chair/Chair-Elect, to succeed Teresa Miguel-Stearns when the latter becomes Chair at the close of the meeting. After the election results were announced, a spokesperson from each FCIL interest group and committee delivered individual reports. The highlights of this year’s reports included:
- The Latin American Interest Group unveiled the “Mexican Law and Legal Research” guide prepared in conjunction with the program developed by FCIL-SIS members Julienne Grant of Loyola University Chicago Law Library and Jonathan Pratter of the University of Texas at Austin Tarlton Law Library. The program, “Mexican Law and Legal Research: Overcoming the Challenges” will soon be available as an audio recording on AALL2go.
- The new Customary and Religious Law Interest Group introduced itself to the FCIL-SIS.
- The Publicity and Membership Committee and the Website Committee reported on the status of the new-and-improved FCIL-SIS blog, DipLawMatic Dialogues, and urged FCIL-SIS members to contribute blog posts and “follow” the blog for the benefit of our SIS.
- The FCIL Schaffer Grant Selection Committee welcomed Irene Kraft, the 2014 recipient of the FCIL Schaffer Grant, to the FCIL business meeting and the AALL conference. Ms. Kraft is the Associate Library Officer of the International Criminal Court (ICC) Library. Her presentation given during the AALL conference was titled “Envisioning the World’s International Criminal Law Library at the International Criminal Court” and focused on the future of small and specialized legal libraries.
The FCIL-SIS also reserved time to honor its members during the business meeting. The list below identifies recipients of 2014 FCIL-SIS awards:
- Spirit of the SIS Award Recipients: Julienne Grant, Ryan Harrington, Jim Hart, Carmen Valero.
- Reynolds and Flores Publication Award Recipients: Wei Luo for The Amended and Annotated Criminal Code of the People’s Republic of China with Official Interpretations and Marci Hoffman and Mary Rumsey for the FCIL course book.
- Dan Wade Outstanding Service Award Recipients: Lyo Louis Jacques and Alison Shea.
- Longevity Award Recipients: David MacFadden and Carmen Valero.
- FCIL-SIS Newest Member Award Recipient: Charles Bjork of Georgetown Law Library.
The meeting concluded with the passing of the gavel from Don Ford to Teresa Miguel-Stearns, FCIL-SIS Chair 2014-2015.